What you will see
The printer is displaying a 917 Service Transfer Roll or a 917 Service HVPS error.
These errors indicate that the printer is having problems getting its transfer roller to function properly. The transfer roller is a black, foam-like roller located inside the printer, under the toner cartridge. It is highlighted in the image below.
Step Action 1
Turn off the printer and let it sit, powered off, for one minute.
Power the printer back on.
If the 917 error does not return on power-up, try printing a few pages. If the error does not return during printing, this may have been an isolated incident. Continue using the printer as before, but pay close attention to it for the next few days to see if the error returns.
If the error returns on power-up, as soon as you try to print, or re-appears at a later time, inspect the transfer roller. (Click the links in the steps below for images.)
- Turn the printer off.
- Open both the lower-front cover and the upper-front cover of the printer.
- Remove the toner cartridge and place it aside.
- Look at the transfer roller. Make sure nothing is stuck on the roller or wrapped around it. If you find any obstruction, try your best to remove it without damaging the transfer roller or knocking the roller loose.
- Make sure the transfer roller is not loose or damaged. If the roller is damaged, it will need to be replaced. Please contact Lexmark Technical Support or a local authorized service provider for further assistance.
- Spin the transfer roller. Make sure it spins freely.
- If the transfer roller appears to be fine, reinstall the toner cartridge and power the printer back on.
- Try printing again to see if the error message returns.
If the 917 error still will not clear, or if the error continues to occur intermittently, the printer will likely require service. Please contact Lexmark Technical Support or a local authorized service provider for further assistance. See Contacting Lexmark below for more information.
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN). If you need help locating these, click here.
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.