A 32 Unsupported Print Cartridge error will appear whenever the printer thinks the wrong toner cartridge is installed. The printer can also display this error when a cartridge manufactured or refilled by a third party is installed into the printer.
Step Action 1 Open the lower and upper front covers. 2
Confirm that the installed toner cartridge is the correct cartridge for this printer.
Read the sticker on the toner cartridge. Make sure your printer model is listed as a compatible printer on the cartridge. If the sticker on your cartridge is damaged or missing, check the packaging the cartridge came in to confirm that your printer is listed.
If you do not see a list of compatible printers on the cartridge or box, find the part number on the cartridge and consult the table below for a list of compatible toner cartridges.
NOTE: "_" at the end of each part number below can be any letter. The last letter of the cartridge part number will differ depending on the geographical region. For example: "A" = USA & Canada, "E" = Europe, Middle East, & Africa, "R" and "P" = Asia & Pacific Region, "L" = Latin America. The part numbers listed in the table below are current as of December 2006. If you cannot find your cartridge in the table below, you can contact Lexmark Technical Support to find out if your cartridge is compatible. See the Contacting Lexmark section at the end of this document for more information.
Part Number Description 64004H_ T640, T642, T644 High Yield Return Program Cartridge for Label Applications 64015H_ T640, T642, T644 High Yield Return Program Print Cartridge 64015S_ T640, T642, T644 Return Program Print Cartridge 64035H_ T640, T642, T644 High Yield Print Cartridge 64035S_ T640, T642, T644 Print Cartridge 64404X_ T644 only - Extra High Yield Return Program Cartridge for Label Applications 64415X_ T644 only - Extra High Yield Return Program Print Cartridge 64435X_ T644 only - Extra High Yield Print Cartridge 3
If the wrong toner cartridge is installed, remove it and install the correct cartridge.
- Confirm that you are using an original Lexmark brand toner cartridge. Cartridges manufactured by a third party may not be compatible with the printer. If a third-party cartridge is causing this error, contact the point of purchase for additional support.
Step Action 1
If the correct toner cartridge is installed, confirm that it has not been refilled or reworked in any way. Refilling the toner cartridge can trigger this error.
- If the cartridge has been refilled or reworked, contact the place where it was refilled to have it replaced.
2 If the cartridge has not been refilled or reworked in any way, it may not be seated correctly. Try reseating the toner cartridge.
- Power off the printer.
- Remove the toner cartridge.
- Inspect the toner cartridge and the inside of the printer for any obstructions or damage. Remove any obstructions you find.
- Reinstall the toner cartridge. Make sure it is seated all the way into the printer.
- Close the upper front cover.
- Power on the printer with the cartridge installed.
3 If reseating the cartridge does not clear the error message, the toner cartridge that is installed may be broken. NOTE: This is particularly likely to be the case if the error started as soon as you installed this toner cartridge for the very first time.
- Power off the printer.
- If this is a brand new cartridge, reinstall the old cartridge. NOTE: If the old cartridge is unavailable or this is not a new cartridge, try installing a known working toner cartridge from another printer or another new toner cartridge, if one is available.
- Power the printer back on after installing the original cartridge, or a different, but compatible cartridge.
- If the Unsupported Cartridge error disappears with a second cartridge, the problem may lie with the original cartridge.
- If this is an original Lexmark toner cartridge, please contact the point of purchase first. They may have a replacement policy.
- If the point of purchase cannot help or if the cartridge was purchased directly from Lexmark, please contact Lexmark using the same phone number or address you used to order the cartridge.
- If you cannot remember or locate the number you used to contact Lexmark to order the cartridge, contact Lexmark Technical Support. A representative there may be able to provide assistance. See the Contacting Lexmark section at the end of this document for more information.
NOTE: An intermittent Unsupported Cartridge message is most likely caused by poor contact between the cartridge contacts and the contact board on the cartridge.
If you cannot clear the error with another toner cartridge, a small cable inside the printer may have come loose. Click here for more information.
If the error cannot be cleared by replacing it with a known working toner cartridge or another new cartridge, the printer may require service to fix the problem. If it appears that the printer will require service, or if you need additional assistance with this issue, please contact Lexmark Technical Support or a local authorized service center.
When calling Lexmark Technical Support for service, please be prepared to describe the problem you are experiencing or the error message on the display. You will also need to provide the printer's model type and serial number. This information can be found on a label on the inside of the front cover of the printer.
Please call from near the printer in case the technician asks you to perform a task involving the printer.