Explanation of the Error
A 902 or a Service Engine Software error indicates that a failure has occurred with the system card of the printer.
Things to Try
When this error appears, power off the printer. Leave it powered off for at least one minute. Then power it back on and wait to see if the error returns.
- If the 902 or Service Engine Software error does not return on power up, try printing again.
- If the error does not return, it may have simply been an isolated incident. Continue using the printer, but keep an eye on it for the next week or two.
- If the error returns when you try to print something, update the engine code on the printer. (See Updating the Printer's Engine Code below.) An older level of engine code may cause the printer to display a 902 error whenever a certain software condition occurs.
- If the 902 or Service Engine Software error occurs as soon as you power the printer back on, do the following:
- Power the printer off once more.
- Check to see if there is a 2000-sheet feeder option connected to the printer. If there is, the option may be unplugged. Do the following:
- Power off the printer.
- Check the power cord going to the 2000-sheet feeder option. Make sure it is fully plugged into both the wall outlet and into the back of the feeder.
- Once you have confirmed this, power on the printer and see if that clears the error.
- Disconnect all of the communication/software cables going into the printer. Leave only the power cord connected to the printer.
- Power the printer back on.
- If the printer comes up to the ready state, reconnect the cables and try printing again. If the error returns as soon as you try to print, update the engine code on the printer. See Updating the Printer's Engine Code below.
- If the error continues to occur on power up with no cables attached, the printer will most likely need to be serviced and the system card inside replaced. Please skip ahead to the Additional Assistance section at the end of this document.
Updating the Printer's Engine Code
NOTE: Try to get the printer to the Ready state before attempting this procedure. The file transfer is more likely to be successful than if the printer is posting a 902 or a Service Engine Software error when you send the file.
Step Action 1 To obtain the current engine code level, go to Lexmark's firmware download site. When prompted for the authorization key code, enter lsste204. IMPORTANT: The key code listed here is correct as of October 2006. If it does not work, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for the correct key code. See Additional Assistance at the end of this document. 2 When you enter the authorization key code, the computer will begin downloading the files. IMPORTANT! Some files can be very large. Please allow plenty of time, possibly up to half an hour, for downloading files when using a slower Internet connection speed, such as 56k. 3
You should receive a total of four files.
- LS.ST.E204.updeng.fls (This is the engine code file you will copy to the printer.)
- USBFlash.exe (Run this utility if you intend to copy the file to the printer using a USB connection/cable.)
Save the files to a directory or folder of your choice. IMPORTANT! Make a note as to where you have the file saved.
Once you have downloaded the file, you will need to copy the engine code file to the printer. The method to use depends on how your computer is connected to the printer. Refer to the appropriate link below.
- For directions on how to copy engine or base code via a USB cable, click here.
- For directions on how to copy engine or base code via a parallel cable, click here.
- For directions on how to copy engine or base code via a network/FTP session, click here.
- For directions on how to copy engine or base code via a Web browser window, click here.
Once you have updated the engine code, power the printer off for ten seconds or longer. Then power it back on and try printing again.
- If the printer works correctly, continue using the printer but keep an eye on it for the next week or two.
- If updating the engine code does not clear the error or if the error occurs again at a later date, the printer may require service. See Additional Assistance below.
IMPORTANT! Make sure you are using the correct engine code file. Sending the incorrect engine code file to the printer will cause a 902 or Service Engine Software error to occur.
If powering the printer off and on does not fix the error, or if the problem continues even after the engine code has been updated, the printer may require service. Please contact Lexmark Technical Support or a local authorized service center for additional assistance.
NOTE: When calling Lexmark Technical Support for service, you will need to provide your printer's model type and serial number. Please call from near the printer in case the technician asks you to perform a task involving the printer.