April 2018 Firmware Update - Frequently Asked Questions
To help extend the life of your Lexmark devices, Lexmark is releasing an important firmware update to support the latest network communication protocols. This is the same functionality that is available standard in new Lexmark products. We recommend you install this update to help ensure your existing devices continue to meet your IT needs.
What you need to know before downloading firmware for your Lexmark printer.
- Like other manufacturers, Lexmark recommends that you always install current firmware updates for optimum product performance and to protect your device and network from the latest security threats. Updating printer firmware is similar to updating the operating system on your smartphone or PC.
- Authorized use of genuine Lexmark products are supported by all firmware updates.
- The firmware update may cause counterfeit and/or unauthorized products, supplies, parts, software, or interfaces to stop working in order to protect your printer investment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Will this firmware download interfere with the operation of my printer cartridge?
The firmware update should enhance your printer’s performance, not interfere with it.
The only way the firmware update will interfere with printer operations is if you have been sold counterfeit cartridges or cartridges that are otherwise not authorized for use in your Lexmark printer. If you are using genuine Lexmark cartridges, the firmware will in no way interfere with your use of your device. A new firmware update may restrict the use of counterfeit or unauthorized cartridges.
- What is the Lexmark Return Program Cartridge?
Lexmark Return Program Cartridges are sold at a discount versus the prices of regular Lexmark cartridges in exchange for the customer's agreement to use the cartridge only once and return it to Lexmark for remanufacturing or recycling. These are terms that were accepted when you installed the Return Program Cartridge.
Regular Lexmark cartridges without this contract/agreement sold at regular prices are also available. Click here for more information on the Lexmark Return Program
- What are Lexmark authorized cartridges?
When you purchased your printer, you agreed to use only genuine Lexmark cartridges and supplies. Cartridges that do not violate that agreement are Lexmark authorized cartridges.
- What types of cartridges are not authorized to work on Lexmark printers?
A Lexmark Return Program cartridge that has been remanufactured by a third party in violation of the single-use agreement under which the cartridge was originally sold is not authorized to work in a Lexmark printer.
In addition, cartridges that violate the agreement that you entered into with Lexmark when you purchased your printer (see Question 4, above), counterfeit cartridges and/or unauthorized compatible cartridges that violate Lexmark’s intellectual property rights are not authorized to work in a Lexmark printer.
- Can I uninstall the firmware from my printer?
Firmware is a program that is necessary for a printer to function. The firmware controls the basic functions of a unit and operates as a layer between the printer and the driver. The firmware is stored in your printer and can only be overwritten with a newer version. Lexmark supports only the latest version of the firmware code. Lexmark will not remove firmware from your device or rollback the firmware to a prior version. Note: Printer drivers and printer firmware are not the same. Printer drivers are operating system drivers which are stored on a computer’s hard drive.
- Why should I upgrade my firmware?
There are a couple of reasons. First, upgrading your firmware will improve the overall performance of your printer. It can help it operate faster and more efficiently. It also will fix any firmware or hardware bugs that have been identified. It can add new features to your printer, and it can even help compatibility issues your unit may have. Most importantly, firmware updates provide security enhancements to protect your device and network from malware and other threats.
- I want the firmware in my printer restored to the level it was at prior to the service action that upgraded the firmware in my printer.
Lexmark only offers and supports the most current level of firmware code for our printers. In order to ensure that Lexmark technical support engineers provide customers the most comprehensive level of service in the shortest amount of time, it is important that we avoid trying to diagnose issues that may have already been fixed in new code releases. Thus as an early step in our diagnostic process we may advise a customer having problems to upgrade to our most current level of firmware code.
- Didn't the U.S. Supreme Court Rule that Lexmark could no longer enforce its patent rights associated with remanufactured cartridges?
Although the Supreme Court ruling primarily addressed post-sale enforcement of patent rights, it also confirmed the continued enforceability of contractual restrictions such as those in the Return Program agreement.