The Scan to File solution lets you use your printer control panel to scan a document, photo, or other item and save it to a pre-defined location. When you create a Scan to File solution in the SmartSolutions Center, you can browse to a directory on your computer, network, or external storage device and set your scanned item to save there automatically when you touch your customized Scan to File icon on the printer's SmartSolutions menu.
- Note - The Scan to File solution can be configured only on computers that have the Windows or Mac OS X version of the printer software installed.
You can use the following basic settings to configure and customize your Scan to File solution.
- Name - Enter a unique name for your Scan to File solution.
- Icon - Click the Browse Icons button to choose an icon to represent your Scan to File solution on the printer's SmartSolutions menu.
- Filename - Click the Browse file button to select the directory where you want to save your scanned file, then enter a name for the file in the Please Save a file dialog and click Save.
-- You can also browse to an existing file to save over, but it must be a PDF or JPEG file. You must also check the Overwrite File check box under More Options in order to successfully save over the existing file.
-- Instead of using the Browse file button, you can also enter the filename directly into the Filename field.
The filename you enter MUST include the exact location of the file
(for example, C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents) and MUST NOT include
the file extension (for example, .jpg or .pdf).
-- Example of a valid filename:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\ScannedDocument.
- File Type - Specify whether to save the scanned item as a PDF or JPEG file.
-- PDF is recommended for text.
-- JPEG is recommended for photos and graphics.
- Scan Preview - Specify whether to preview the scan on the printer control panel before saving.
-- Note - This is supported only if you use the scanner glass for your scan. You cannot use the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) to scan if Preview is selected.
The following advanced settings are also available for you to configure.
- Quality - Select the scan resolution in dots per inch (DPI). Each successive DPI value (75 DPI to 600 DPI) produces an output file approximately four times larger than that of the previous (smaller) DPI value.
- Color - Specify whether to scan the item in color or black and white. Color scans produce output files approximately two times larger than the output files produced by black and white scans.
- Append Date - Specify whether to include the date and time at the end of the filename.
-- Note - If you do not check the Append Date check box, the saved file will be overwritten each time you use this solution.
- Overwrite File - Specify whether to overwrite the saved file each time you save a new scan.
- Size of Original - Specify the size of the original scanned item.
For information on how to add solutions to your printer, see the SmartSolutions User's Guide.
To use your Scan to File solution on your printer:
The printer scans and saves your item using the settings and location you selected in the SmartSolutions Center.
You may encounter the following error message while creating a Scan to File solution in the SmartSolutions Center:
"Hostname is not in the device's host list"
If this error occurs:
- Make sure the printer driver is installed on the computer you are using to create your Scan to File solution. You can only configure a Scan to File solution on the computer where the printer driver is installed.
- You may have changed the computer hostname after you created your Scan to File solution. See "No response from selected computer" below.
You may encounter the following error messages while using the Scan to File solution on your printer:
"No response from selected computer"
If this error occurs:
- You may have changed the computer hostname after you created your Scan to File solution. When you create a Scan to File solution in the SmartSolutions center, the solution uses your computer's current hostname. After creating your Scan to File solution, if you change the "Network computer name" on the Settings tab of the Lexmark Printer Home driver software, the solution stops working.
To restore your Scan to File solution:
After your updates are sent to the printer, your Scan to File solution should function properly.
"Unable to save file error"
If this error occurs:
- You may be trying to overwrite a saved file that can't be overwritten. To overwrite the saved file each time, check the Overwrite file check box when configuring your Scan to File solution in the SmartSolutions Center. To save a file with the same filename each time without overwriting the file, check the Append Date check box. This saves your file using the same filename, but adds the date and time to the end of the filename each time.
- You may not have specified a directory in which to save your scanned file. When you configure your Scan to File solution in the SmartSolutions Center, make sure you set your file to save in a specific directory by using the Browse file button.