Microsoft Windows Vista; Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition; Microsoft Windows Server 2008; Microsoft Windows Server 2003; Microsoft Windows XP; Microsoft Windows NT, Terminal Server; Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
What you will see
A Lexmark printer process is blocked by a certain Microsoft firewall client ver. 4.0.3441.633. Click here for an illustration.
Possible symptoms and error messages
- Communication failure error
- "Printer Communication System has encountered a problem and needs to close"
- Microsoft Error report which contains LMabcoms.exe and LMabipl.dll file names
- "Failed to locate the printer you specified"
- A grey "Ask Printer" under Properties > Install Options
- Other printers utilizing Lexmark port monitor or Lexmark enhanced communications software suffer similar errors.
- Other process errors that may involve any of the processes utilized by the MFP or printer. See table below.
Before you begin
Understand the different types of firewalls:
- 3rd party software-based firewalls
- Operating system-based firewalls
- Computer hardware BIOS firewalls
- Router hardware firewalls
- VPN firewalls
To resolve this issue, please update the MS Firewall Client to version to 4.0.3442.654.
Updating the firewall application is one possible solution for a blocked process. Otherwise, reference the table below and make sure that the following processes are successfully added to your firewall application's exceptions list.
Primary Processes and Ports Table ('09)
|pssu.exe (print server setup utility)||UDP 9300 or 9340||print server (TCP/IP) setup utility|
Note: Varies by network TWAIN
|HTTP 80 or HTTPS 443||Network TWAIN|
|scanwiz.exe||HTTP 80 or HTTPS 443||Scanback Utility|
|lmabcoms.exe||UDP 9200||Discovery and Port Creation|
|lmabcoms.exe||TCP 9400||Printing (Enhanced TCP/IP Port)|
|lmabcoms.exe||UDP 9300 or 9340||Bidi communication|
Still need help?
If you need additional assistance, please close this window, go to your product's support page and locate Get In Touch with Lexmark! for contact information. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce call-back situations.