A Lexmark printer proccess is blocked by a certain Microsoft firewall client ver. 4.0.3441.633. Click here for illustration.
- - Communicatication failure error
- - "Printer Communication System has encountered a problem and needs to close"
- - Microsoft Error report which contains LMabcoms.exe and LMabipl.dll file names
- - "Failed to locate the printer you specified"
- - A grey "Ask Printer" under Properties > Install Options
- - Other printers utilizing Lexmark port monitor or Lexmark enhanced communications software suffer similar errors.
- - Other process errors that may involve any of the processes utilized by the MFP or printer. See table below.
Understand the different types of firewalls:
- - 3rd party software-based firewalls
- - Operating system-based firewalls
- - Computer hardware BIOS firewalls
- - Router hardware firewalls
- - VPN firewalls
Updating the MS Firewall Client to version to 4.0.3442.654 resolved this issue. So, updating your firewall application is one possible solution for a blocked process.
Otherwise, reference the table below and make sure that the following processes are successully added to your firewall application's exceptions list.
Processes Ports Function InstallGui.exe UDP 5353 Installer pssu.exe (print server setup utility) UDP 9300 or 9340 print server (TCP/IP) setup utility Application process
NOTE: Varies by network TWAIN compliant application.
HTTP or HTTPS post - port 80 Network TWAIN scanwiz.exe HTTP or HTTPS post - port 80 Scanback Utility lmabcoms.exe UDP 9200 Discovery and Port Creation lmabcoms.exe TCP 9400 Printing (Enhanced TCP/IP Port) lmabcoms.exe UDP 9300 or 9340 Bidi communication
If you need additional assistance, please contact Lexmark Technical Support. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN).
Please call from near a computer and printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving one or all of these devices.