This article provides information on how to correct a fax setting that causes the red LED to flash and the fax function to be disabled.
After performing the initial SETUP WIZARD, you notice:
- -The Fax icon has a red exclamation mark on it.
- -The LED* will blink red.
- -The Status/Supplies icon becomes highlighted.
- -If the Fax or Status/Supplies icon is pressed, the message "Fax Server 'To Format' not set up. Contact system administrator" appears.
- -Regardless of action performed on the touch screen User Interface, this condition will persist.
*LED - Light emitting diode
What else is known:
- -By default, all MFPs are programmed for fax functionality.
- -A MFP that was purchased without FAX capabilities (fax/modem card) can still use FAX SERVER mode.
- -If FAX SERVER mode is misconfigured, or not completely configured, the behavior described above will result.
- -Future MFPs with a fax-less configuration will have fax disabled by default.
- -After you complete the Initial Setup Wizard, assuming you did not disable fax, the alert will appear and you will have to manually configure the "To: Format " value.
More than one possibility exists for this MFP behavior:
- -Your model version of the product is not equipped with a fax modem and fax server mode is enabled.
- -A specific fax server setting was misconfigured during the initial setup of the device.
- -Another fax server mode setting is incorrect.
Recommended actions, to include:
- -Disable the function through the Run Initial Setup option, or
NOTE: This will require a reboot of the MFP.
- -Disable the fax function via Menus option
- -Properly configure Fax Server settings.
WARNING! This option disables the feature in question. Either running the Initial Setup again or entering Menus can be performed to re-enable the function.
Perform the following:
- From the operator panel, select Menus > Settings > General Settings > Run Initial Setup > Select Yes > Submit, and then reboot the MFP.
Optional embedded web server: Settings > General Settings > Run Initial Setup > Submit, and then reboot the MFP.
- Follow setup steps through Language, Country, Time Zone until you reach Functions to Enable.
- Deselect the FAX function by removing the check mark next to it.
- Click Continue and finish the initial setup.
Click here for illustration.
You can disable these functions via the operator panel by pressing the following color touch-screen buttons:
- Edit Security Setups
- Edit Access Controls
- Scroll to the Fax function(s) and change the status to Disabled.
- Click Submit.
NOTE: The function icon will disappear from the User Interface.
Click here for illustration.
Click here for more information.
If you need additional assistance, please contact Lexmark Technical Support. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your MFP printer/model type and serial number (SN).
Please call from near the computer and printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving one or all of these devices.