An intermittent issue related to fax forwarding which can result in the loss of incoming faxes.
What is known:
- -Fax jobs get held up in the fax queue, i.e. in Held Fax Jobs on the touch-screen user interface.
- -The problem is intermittent, and clearing the queue allows the MFP to forward faxes again to the selected email destination.
- -The sending fax machine receives confirmation of successful fax transmission.
- -When you attempt to access the "hostsend.html debug" information via the web browser's SE menu, the device displays a 900 RIP error.
- -A firewall log may reveal a message such as "TCP packet out of state: First packet is not SYN tcp-flags: RST-ACK." Click here for an illustration.
Identification of this problem is not easy because of its intermittent nature, but the following actions may help to confirm its presence:
Action... Result... Then... Access the SE Menu and attempt to capture hostsend.html debug information.
Is a 900 RIP error displayed on the MFP?
Take note of the result and proceed to the next action item. Access the MFP web page and go to Configuration > Fax Settings > Analog Fax Setup > Fax Forwarding. Change the setting from Forward to Print and then power cycle the MFP (switch it off and back on).
Does this clear the fax queue?
- If yes, see the next action item.
- If no, please contact Lexmark Technical Support.
Understand that all faxes will be printed as a result of the setting change, but at least they will not be permanently lost. If possible, find out if one or more of the sender(s) received a successful send confirmation in their transmission log.
Did the sender receive a successful send confirmation?
- If yes, see the next action item below.
- If no, another type of issue may be indicated.
Call Lexmark Technical Support for additional diagnosis and be prepared to provide the information specified in the last Action recommendation in this table. Capture any email or firewall logging information that may contain or depict a message similar to "TCP packet out of state: First packet is not SYN tcp-flags: RST-ACK."
Were you able to find this information?
- If yes, please contact Lexmark Technical Support for a code update that resolves this issue. NOTE: Make sure you inform the technician of any DLEs such as Bar Code, IPDS, Printcryption, or Prescribe as these options are code-sensitive.
- If no, see the next action item.
Take note of any suspect logging information.
Perform the following:
Submit these results to Lexmark Technical Support for further evaluation and diagnosis. Be prepared to provide additional information if requested by the technician or Lexmark's engineering staff.
If you require additional assistance, please contact Lexmark Technical Support. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need the machine/model type and serial number (SN) of your printer.
Please call from near the computer and printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task on one or both of these devices.