Local USB connections to a Microsoft Windows computer allow firmware updates via USButil or the USB Flash Utility. The procedures described in this article are useful if you are upgrading the printer firmware with any of the following file extensions:
IMPORTANT! The procedures should only be performed if Lexmark Technical Support has recommended a firmware update. Recommendations will be made by a technician should updating the printer firmware correct a printer function or a printing anomaly. You will be directed to http://support.lexmark.com/printerfirmware, where a keycode will be provided to initiate the firmware download.
Before you begin
Do the following before updating printer or MFP firmware:
- Download the .zip file to an easy-to-find location such as your Windows Desktop.
- If you do not have a copy of WinZip, download this application to enable you to extract or expand the firmware file.
- Using WinZip, expand the file to your Windows Desktop or a destination directory that is easy to locate.
- Power off your printer and then back on to clear any error messages and to bring the printer back to READY.
- Verify your USB connection to the printer, and make sure the printer is recognized by the USB host controller.
NOTE: You will see connection notifications in the notification area of your task bar, and Microsoft's Add New Hardware Wizard may appear. Cancel these notifications.
Other Firmware Update Methods
The file types listed above can also be sent to the printer using the following methods:
Method Article Link Embedded Web Server (EWS) Click here File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Click here Printer File Loader (Macintosh) Click here USB flash or thumb drive (models introduced in late 2008) Click here Firmware Flash or Code Update Table of the Contents and Guide Click here
NOTE: Procedures may slightly vary by printer model.
USB flash utilities
Two firmware flash utilities are available for download:
USB Flash Utility has a GUI-based interface which shows a progress bar, and the USBUtil is a simple DOS-based executable application that can be run directly from your desktop. Which utility to choose is mainly a matter of preference.
Procedure: USB Flash Utility
Procedure: USButil (DOS) Utility
- After extracting both the flash USButil.exe and firmware file, it is recommended that you move both files to your desktop. NOTE: This is not necessary but may prove useful for some users.
- Once the firmware file is on your desktop, simply drag and drop the file onto the USButil icon.
- A command prompt window will briefly appear.
- Observe the printer LEDs or LCD for flash status. A series of periodic LED light sequences will be seen or a specific message will appear on the LCD.
- After completion, the printer should return to Ready.
Click here for an illustration.
NOTE: If you have trouble transferring the file, make sure you are directly attached to the USB port (i.e., not via a hub, USB extension cables, docking stations, etc), it may be necessary to detach all other USB devices when using this utility, but most often the utility will find the USB port where your printer is located. These directions assume the utility and the file you are trying to transfer are in the same location. Make sure that the file you are using has been uncompressed or unzipped before attempting the transfer.
Still need help?
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN).
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.