Repeating Horizontal Lines Appear on Pages Printed on a Lexmark C770, C772, C780, or C782 Printer
|Lexmark C770n||Lexmark C772n||Lexmark C780|
Two or more horizontal lines or bands of toner are appearing on the printed pages. The lines are evenly spaced apart and may consist of one or more colors. They may be darker or lighter in color than the rest of the page. Click here to see an example of this print quality issue.
NOTE: The lines run horizontally across the page, but will appear vertical when you print in landscape mode.
If the horizontal lines are present in more than one color plane, perform the color adjust procedure before replacing any parts on the printer. This may prevent the need for service to the printer.
Step Action 1 Make sure the printer is at the Ready state. 2 Press the button on the printer operator panel to enter the printer menus. 3
Press the or the button until the checkmark on the left is next to Settings Menu.
4 Press the button once. A new set of menu choices will appear. 5 Press or until the checkmark on the left is next to Quality Menu. Press . 6
Press or until the checkmark on the left is next to Color Adjust. Press .
The printer will display Calibrating for approximately one minute and then return to the Ready state.
Try printing again. If the horizontal lines are still present, continue with the suggestions below.
Measuring the distance between each line will help to identify which roller or set of rollers is causing the issue.
- If the repeating horizontal lines occur only in one color, try replacing the toner cartridge corresponding to that color. If replacing the toner cartridge does not correct the issue, continue with the suggestions below.
- If the repeating horizontal lines occur in all colors, proceed as follows:
- If the lines occur every 101 mm (4 inches) or only every three or every six pages, the issue is probably caused by the image transfer unit (part number: 40X1826). You will need to order and replace this part.
- If the lines occur every 38mm (1.5 inches), 48mm (1.9 inches), or 97mm (3.8 inches), one of the toner cartridges is probably causing the issue. Replace each toner cartridge, one at a time, starting with the color of the line that is appearing most frequently.
- If the lines occur every 148 mm (5.8 inches), the issue is probably caused by the fuser unit. This will require a service action to the printer. See 'Contacting Lexmark Technical Support' below for more information.
If none of the above suggestions resolves the issue or if the issue does not match any of the characteristics above, please contact Lexmark Technical Support or a local authorized service provider. See 'Contacting Lexmark Technical Support' below.
If you require additional assistance with any of the steps above or if you need help arranging service, please contact Lexmark Technical Support.
Be prepared to describe the problem you are experiencing and any troubleshooting steps you have already taken to find a solution. Please note that you will be asked for the printer's model type and serial number. For help locating this information, click here.
If possible, call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a troubleshooting task on the printer.