Devices Listed Several Times in MVP 11.0
How to delete duplicate devices; MarkVision Professional (MVP) 11.0; System board replaced; Additional devices are being added to MVP as a result of system board replacement or alternate print server attachment. This is due to a device detection process which utilizes the product's MAC (UAA) address. The MVP server does not delete the existing device as it continues to respond to the unchanged IP address; however, MVP recognizes a new MAC address resulting in a duplication of the device.
What You Will See
- displaying multiple devices for the same product in the Folder Contents pane.
- allowing each device to actively communicate and respond to end user-initiated MVP requests.
- displaying identical settings (with the exception of the MAC/UAA address) for each device.
MVP is adding a new device instead of updating the existing device. This is due to MVP server's inability to dynamically (on-the-fly) recognize changes in a MAC/UAA address during the initial discovery process. As a result, the settings from the newly discovered device propagate over to the existing devices and all become active.
NOTE: Read the following facts to help your understanding of the above explanation:
- Replacing a system board with an integrated network adapter changes the UAA/MAC address.
- Switching a printer to an external network adapter changes the UAA/MAC address.
- MVP uses the UAA/MAC address to derive/resolve the PrintServer/Printer Name.
- MVP uses TCP/IP for communication and device discovery.
- Hostname and IP address remain constant/unchanged after the device gets a new MAC address.
Resolution: Plug-in Installation and Deletion Process
To delete the duplicated devices, a plug-in adds a new button under Administrative Settings (see below). The DeleteDuplicateDevice function automatically detects and deletes duplicate devices that do not have a relevant MAC address.
- Download the file ENUS24499_Check_Duplicate_Devices_1_2.zip and unzip it.
Install the plug-in on your MVP server. (For information on how to install MVP plug-ins, click here.)
Reboot your MVP server. (Click here for instructions.)
From the MVP server/client, click on MarkVision, then Administrative Settings.
On the Device Discovery tab, click on the ***DeleteDuplicateDevice *** button.
Still Need Help?
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support for additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need to know your printer model type and serial number.
Please call from near the MVP server/client in case the technician asks you to perform a task involving the application.