This document assumes the firmware revision has already been downloaded and expanded on the local hard drive. For details of which firmware extensions go with which adapter, refer to the list at the end (Flash File Extensions table).Note:
The Web applet is a feature on MarkNet S, Pro, N, and X series adapters. It is not supported on MarkNet XL or XLe adapters.Flash memory
Flash memory is a type of ROM (read-only memory) that can be electronically erased and reprogrammed. The flash memory in the network adapter contains the firmware that operates it. This firmware communicates with the network, the printer, and the network utility. The flash memory on the network adapter is reprogrammed when the firmware is updated. The update procedure overwrites old firmware and replaces it with the upgraded version. Although many adapters can accept each firmware file, there are some intermediate levels that must be reached before the adapter can accept the current level. Specifically:
- 1.9.14 must be flashed to the MarkNet S adapter before it can accept any higher level of firmware.
- 2.9.14 must be flashed to the MarkNet Pro adapters before they can be updated to the current level.
After reprogramming, all of the network adapter's settings should be saved automatically; however, this does not always happen. Be sure to have a network settings page printed before starting the update in order to compare the contents with the network settings after the firmware has been updated. Caution! While the code is being updated, be sure not to turn the adapter (or printer) off!Windows
From most Windows operating systems and OS/2, MarkVision Classic and MarkVision Professional can be used to update the print server firmware. Firmware can also be sent using a TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) session from Windows NT, 2000 and XP. For the MarkNet S series, N series, Pro series, and X series adapters, the internal web interface is another option for updating firmware. Some adapters also accept PJL files, which can be sent via FTP and over a parallel port.
- This document outlines MarkVision update procedures.
- This document provides information on the TFTP procedures.
- This document provides information about FTP and parallel update procedures.
The web interface is a feature on MarkNet N, MarkNet S, MarkNet X, and MarkNet Pro adapters. It is not supported with MarkNet XL or XLe adapters, and may not function properly on S and Pro series adapters with very old firmware revisions.
Flash File Extensions
- Open the web browser and enter the print server's TCP/IP address in the Address field.
- If necessary, accept the Status Applet download.
- Once the MarkNet web applet has loaded, select Configuration from the menu on the left.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Configuration page and select Update Print Server Firmware.
- Once the Update Print Server Firmware page loads, select the Browse button to locate the appropriate flash file.
- When the file has been located, select the Flash button.
Once the print server has completed the flashing process, the browser's window will refresh.
|Adapter||Network file extension||Parallel or FTP file extension|
|MarkNet N2501e and 2401e||*.PML||*.PJL|