This document explains how to upgrade the code in any of the Lexmark network adapters. The instructions assume the correct firmware files have already been downloaded and expanded to the local hard drive. For a list of what firmware extensions go with which adapter and download instructions, refer to the list at the end of this document.
The Print Server Firmware update reprograms the flash memory in the network adapter. This procedure overwrites the old firmware and replaces it with the upgraded version. Flash memory is a type of ROM (read-only memory) that can be electronically erased and reprogrammed. The flash memory in the network adapter contains the firmware that operates it. This firmware communicates with the network, the printer, and the network utility. NOTE:
When the network adapter has been reprogrammed, all of the adapter settings should be saved automatically; however, this is not always the case. Be sure to print a network settings page before starting the procedure in order to have a record of network settings to compare with after the update is complete. IMPORTANT!
While the code is being updated, be sure not to turn the adapter (or printer) off! See the table below for the correct file extensions for each adapter. MarkVision Classic
MarkVision Classic is supported on Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP, and OS2.
Using MarkVision in Windows
, you must first find the adapter you want to flash.
- When the search is complete, double-click the printer/adapter you intend to update.
- Select the Adapter Settings tab.
- Select the Flash Network Card button on the right-hand side of the screen.
- After reading the warning, browse to the expanded firmware file previously saved on the hard drive.
MarkVision does not support multiple adapter flashes. You may also require administrator rights in order to flash a network adapter using MarkVision.In OS/2
- Open MarkVision and find your adapter.
- Right-click on the adapter, select Port, then Properties.
- Click on Flash Adapter and then browse to the correct file.
MarkVision Professional clients are supported on Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP, OS2 and MacOS X.
One-time update on single or multiple adapters:
- Open MarkVision Professional either locally from the MVP server or through an MVP web client.
- Select the adapter(s) you would like to update.
- From the All Tasks drop-down list, select Firmware Download (Print Server).
- If the proper firmware file is not in the list, choose New File and browse to the appropriate firmware file.
- Click Start to initiate the firmware update.
(MarkVision Professional can be used to update adapter firmware as an automatically scheduled event either once or at scheduled intervals.)
MarkVision for Macintosh
- Open MarkVision Professional and select Scheduling from the All Tasks drop-down list.
- In the calendar, select Add to create a new event.
- Select Firmware Download from the options. If necessary, provide a name for this event and click Next.
- Set a start time and date. If this is to be a repeated event, set a schedule also. Click Next.
- Select the adapters you would like to update with this event. Click Next.
- Browse to the related firmware files for each type of adapter selected for updating.
- Click Finish to save the scheduled event.
Over an AppleTalk network, you must use MarkVision for the Macintosh.
Flash File Extensions
- Open MarkVision for Macintosh.
- Once the search is complete, find the adapter in the list and select it.
- Click on the Update Adapter icon on the left.
- Browse to the flash file for the adapter, select it, and click Open.
- Once MarkVision for Macintosh returns to the main screen, the adapter firmware should be updated.
|Adapter||Over the network||Using parallel|
|MarkNet X ||*.PEN||*.PEN|
|MarkNet N 2501e and 2401e||*.PML||*.PJL|
To obtain the latest version of firmware for your print server:
- Click here and select Drivers & Downloads.
Select Network Adapters from the list of products and then choose your adapter.
Click Firmware and download the latest version for your adapter.