Single-Function: CS310, CS317, CS410, CS417, CS510, CS517, C2132
Multifunction: CX310, CX317, CX410, CX417, CX510, CX517, XC2130, XC2132
This article details the basic things to do in order to avoid paper jams. It gives instructions for proper paper loading of the trays or the manual paper feeder of
the Lexmark CS310, CS410, CS510, CX310, CX410, and CX510 printers.
This article provides the following:
- Instructions for loading the paper tray.
- Instructions for loading the manual feeder.
- Instructions for loading the multipurpose feeder.
Note: Proper paper loading techniques may help prevent paper jams and ensures trouble-free printing.
- Pull Tray 1 out or open the affected paper tray (could be any input source).
- Remove all the paper/print media from the tray. Then fan the media and check for any obstructions, damaged media, size settings, and tray guides.
Also ensure that the paper sheets are not wrinkled, creased, damp, bent, wavy, curled, or possessing ream glue.
- If the paper is longer than letter-size paper, push the length guide tab at the back of the tray to extend it.
- Notice the size indicators on the tray. Use these indicators to help position the length and width guides.
Squeeze and then slide the length guide to the correct position for the paper size you are loading.
- Do not slide the paper into the tray. Load paper as shown in the right-hand image.
Also do not mix media sizes, weights, or types in the same source; such mixing results in jams.
- Ensure that the desired paper size matches the paper in the tray. The tray's side and rear paper guides should be resting lightly against the edges of the paper and not putting pressure on the paper.
Also make sure the paper stack height is below the maximum height indicated by the load line labels in the trays.
Note: Using the printer's control panel, verify if the size and type of the paper loaded in the paper tray matches with the Paper Size and Type settings in the Paper Menu (e.g., Letter size).
The User's Guide provides detailed instructions for navigating through the printer menus and changing the paper settings.
- Load a sheet of paper into the Manual Feeder.
- Feed paper into the Manual Feeder only to the point where its leading edge can contact the paper guides.
Note: Hold both sides of the paper and gently push the page into the manual feed slot to a minimum of three (3) inches or 76mm for the rollers to grab it.
Important! If paper is not loaded properly on the Manual Feeder, it can cause a no pick issue since the printer is unable to register that paper has been loaded.
- Adjust the paper guides to the width of the paper loaded.
Note: Do not force the paper into the feeder. Forcing the paper may cause jams.
- From the printer control panel, set the paper size and type in the Paper Menu to match the paper loaded in the Manual Feeder.
Note: The User's Guide provides detailed instructions for navigating through the printer menus and changing the paper settings.
- Push the paper release lever in the Multipurpose Feeder to the left.
- Open the Multipurpose Feeder.
- Grasp the extension and pull it straight out until it is fully extended.
- Prepare the paper for loading.
- Flex the sheets back and forth to loosen them, and then fan them. Do not fold or crease the paper.
Straighten the paper stack's edges on a level surface.
- Insert the paper, print side up, into the multipurpose feeder until it touches the insertion point.
(Do not force the paper.) Then adjust the width guide to lightly touch the edge of the paper stack.
- Select the paper size, paper type and paper source in the Paper Menu from the printer control panel to match the paper loaded in the Multipurpose Feeder.
You will also need to select the paper size, type, and source from your software application when you send a job to print.
Still Need Help?
Have the following available when calling Lexmark Technical Support;
- Printer model(s)
- Printer serial number