How you initiate print jobs from Windows 8 will depend largely on the application (app) type.
|If printing from...||To print...||Illustration|
Modern UI apps (Windows 8 Store Apps)
or, + K.
(win32 (x86) or x64-bit applications)
NOTE: These apps may be represented as tiles in Windows 8, but they will open in the desktop.
To bring up the Charms bar, press + C.
To bring up Devices, press + K.
To bring up Desktop, press + D.
Metro App Printing (Example Only)
- Open a modern UI application such as Internet Explorer by selecting the start screen tile, e.g., .
- Locate a Web page to print.
- Swipe in from the edge of the screen or hover your cursor in the lower right hot corner to trigger the Charms bar.
- Select the Devices charm to display your printer and possibly other devices.
- Click on the name of the printer that you wish to use.
- A Settings screen for your printer appears, from which you can change the number of copies, orientation, color mode, and other settings.
- Click on the More settings link for additional options, including paper size, type, and output tray.
- Click the Back button in front of your printer name to return to the previous screen.
- Click on the Print button to print the Web page.
This print setup works the same across all modern UI apps.
Desktop App Printing
Printing Desktop applications in Windows 8 works the same as it does in previous versions of Windows.
Devices: There's nothing to send right now
Two reasons for this message:
- You do not have an application open that supports printing
- You are running a desktop application originally designed for the Windows 7 or older.
|Windows 8 reference or icon||Description|
|Start charm returns you to Start screen.|
|Device charm displays a list of printers if you have an application that supports printing.|
|More settings displays additional print settings. This resembles what you may have seen with Page Setup, Preferences, or Properties with previous versions of Windows.|
Back button (Two functions)
- How to Access or View the Print Queue with Windows 8
- Certain Driver Functions Cannot Be Selected From Windows 8 (Modern UI apps)
Still Need Help?
If you require additional assistance, please see Contact information. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce call-back situations.