This article provides an overview of fax server functionality and includes the following topics:
- Topic 1 - Configuration methods
- Topic 2 - Fax Server Configuration requirements
- Topic 3 - SMTP Server Configuration requirements
- Topic 4 - The effects of Fax Server mode
Topic 1: Fax Server Configuration Methods:
- Touch screen user interface.
- Embedded Web Server. Click here for illustration.
Topic 2: Fax Server Configuration
A required "Reply" address informs the user or network/fax administrator of fax transmittal confirmation status.
Enter a valid e-mail address to receive all fax confirmation information.
If you authenticate users for fax access to the MFP, enter the following syntax into the reply field:
$firstname.lastname@example.org, where $u is the insertion point for the user's e-mail ID, and companydomain is the user's e-mail domain.
The fields are optional and can be used for different purposes.
Topic 3: Required E-mail Server Settings:
Available "Authentication" settings:
Available "Device Credentials":
Topic 4: The effects of Fax Server mode
Activation of Fax Server mode will result in:
MFP Behavior changes:
- Inbound faxes that utilize the MFP's fax modem are still printed.
Suggestion: Do not use the MFP's fax modem and configure the fax server to receive all inbound faxes. If you still need the MFP to print received fax jobs, you can configure the fax server for this purpose.
- All outgoing fax jobs originating at the MFP are routed via e-mail to the fax server.
- Group Faxes are sent to the fax server in a single e-mail, and then the fax server software becomes responsible for dialing individual fax recipients.
Disabled analog fax features:
- Delayed Send under Fax > Options > Advanced via user interface.
- Cover page
- Manual Fax
- Driver Fax with the PostScript System or Universal printer drivers.
Still need help?
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN). If you need help locating these, click here.
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.