All Microsoft operating system and server verions.
What you will see
Any of the following symptoms may be observed as a result of improper installation of the driver using the New Driver option under Properties > Advanced tab:
- Undesired printing results.
- Incorrect printer output, to include: incorrect characters printed; missing fonts; wrong font; altered font size or pitch; improper font substitution; incorrect borders or margins.
- Spooler crashes.
- "Missing *.dll" errors may appear during the installation of the driver.
Operating System Environment
Any Lexmark PCL and PS driver and
Microsoft Windows (all versions)
Lexmark does not support this method as this is a Microsoft printing system implemented feature. When switching drivers using this method, the operating system assumes the new driver has the same internal structure as the old one. Since this may not be the case with some Lexmark drivers, abnormal behavior can result.
For a Microsoft explanation regarding this topic, please click here.
As stated in the Universal Print Driver White Paper:
- The Universal Print Driver (UPD) version 2 is designed to work in parallel with UPD version 1. This gives administrators or end users the ability of having both versions installed at once.
- When upgrading from UPD versions 1 to 2, do not switch the driver from the Advanced tab of the Printer Properties dialog since it is not supported.
- Administrators should create new print queues using UPD version 2 only after deleting the existing UPD version 1 print queues.
When can the 'New Driver' button be used?
Use 'New Driver' only when upgrading from an older version of the same driver version. For example, if you are updating the driver from version 2.0. to version 2.1.
Still need help?
If you need additional assistance, please close this window, go to your product's support page and locate Get In Touch with Lexmark! for contact information. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce call-back situations.