What you will see
When the printer exits "Sleep Mode", it posts a 31.40 or 31.60 “Install Missing Cartridge” Error".
NOTES: For a Lexmark MS310 model, the light combination you will see that depicts the same error is the Exclamation point (!) and Toner Icon. LED’s are steady on and not blinking. Click here to see illustration.
- Confirm that you are using an original Lexmark brand toner cartridge. A third-party cartridge may not be compatible with the printer. If a third-party cartridge is installed, try an original Lexmark cartridge. NOTE: Should this replacement correct the issue, you will need to contact the point of purchase for questions about, or replacement of, the cartridge that caused the issue.
- Confirm that this toner cartridge has not been refilled or reworked. If it has, try an original Lexmark cartridge. A refilled toner cartridge can trigger this error. Should the replacement correct the issue, contact the place where the other cartridge was refilled to have it replaced.
To resolve the issue, first identify the printer’s date code. The example image below shows the date code encircled in red. It is located in the sticker where the Serial Number is also printed. See How to Locate the Serial Number of the printer.
|Click Image to Enlarge|
Once you have the date code information, download the appropriate firmware depending on your printer model:
- For models: M1145, MS310, MS410, MS510 & MS610, if the date code is prior to April 2013, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MS610de, M3150, M3150dn, if the date code is prior to April 2013, first download EC1.1 firmware then install it in the printer. After installing EC1.1, then download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MX310, MX410, MX510, MX511, MX610, MX611, XM1145 & XM3150, if the date code is prior to June 2013, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MS71x, MS81x, MX71x, MX81x, M51xx, XM51xx & XM71xx, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
How to download firmware
- Go to support.lexmark.com.
- Type your printer model in the “Enter Product Name” field and click OR click on the picture of the correct printer model shown.
- Locate the “Downloads” tab.
- Select the version of the Operating System.
- Click the link available under "Firmware".
After downloading the firmware, proceed with any of the methods below to perform the update.
|Firmware Flash Methods||Information|
|Embedded Web Server (EWS) Recommended||Open a browser and enter the IP address of the printer. Select Settings > Update Firmware.|
|USB utility||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|USB thumb drive||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|FTP||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|Printer File Loader
|Click here for the detailed steps.|
Still need help?
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN). Should you need help locating these, click here.
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.