Lexmark MS71x & MS81x – The Printer Crashes when Firmware Is Updated Through the Front USB Port
|Lexmark M5155||Lexmark M5163||Lexmark M5163dn|
|Lexmark M5170||Lexmark MS710||Lexmark MS711||Lexmark MS810|
|Lexmark MS810de||Lexmark MS811||Lexmark MS812||Lexmark MS812de|
The printer is unable to complete a firmware update because it crashes during the process. This could happen if the update is done through the Front USB port using a USB Flash drive (thumb drive). The symptoms could be any of the following:
- Error code 959.xx appears as the printer is rebooted during the firmware update.
- Blank LCD screen as the printer is rebooted during the firmware update.
- A clicking sound can be heard indicating that the relay on the printer’s power supply is getting the line voltage, but the printer fails to complete the Power-on self-test (rebooting) process and does not come up to the “Ready” screen.
Perform the “USB Recovery Mode” on the printer. To do this, follow the steps below. NOTE: USB Recovery Mode is applicable only on printers with 2.4" (60.96mm) display panels.
Power off the printer.
Press and hold the keys 2 + 7 + 8 simultaneously.
Power on the printer while still holding the keys. In about 20 seconds the “USB Recovery” string should appear at the top of the screen.
Note: If the LCD screen is blank or the USB Recovery Mode text does not appear, continue to hold down the 2 - 7 - 8 button combination until you hear the printer speaker beep. Once you hear the beeping sound, release the buttons and then proceed with the next step. Otherwise,
At this point, you should now be able to perform the firmware update. See the section below on How to download the latest firmware for your printer.
Update the firmware by sending the flash file through either:
You will be able to determine whether the update is successful as soon as the printer goes through its normal rebooting process that occurs whenever the firmware is updated. Once the printer reboots on its own, the LCD text and graphics should appear as designed.
Should the printer be unable to recover following the above procedure or if you are still unable to perform the firmware update, contact Lexmark Technical Support to set up service for the printer.
How to download the latest firmware
- Go to support.lexmark.com.
- Type your printer model in the “Enter Product Name” field and click OR click on the picture of the correct printer model shown.
- Locate the “Downloads” tab.
- Select the version of the Operating System.
- Click the link available under "Firmware".
Still need help?
Please contact Lexmark Technical Support if you need additional assistance. NOTE: When calling for support, you will be asked for your machine/model type and serial number (SN). If you need help locating these, click here.
Please call from near the printer in case the technician on the phone asks you to perform a task involving the printer.