What you will see
When exiting sleep mode, the printer displays a "31.40, Reinstall Missing or Unresponsive Cartridge" or "31.60, Reinstall Missing or Unresponsive Imaging Unit (IU)."
NOTES: For a Lexmark MS310 model, the light combination you will see that depicts the same error is the Exclamation point (!) and Toner Icon. LED lights are on steadily and not blinking. Click here to see illustration.
Follow these initial steps and see whether they eliminate the error:
- Remove the Toner Cartridge and Imaging Unit.
- Thoroughly shake the Imaging Unit.
- Re-seat both supplies back into the printer.
Important third-party supplies check!
- Genuine supplies – Confirm the use of Lexmark-branded supplies, toner cartridge, and imaging unit. Third-party supplies may not be compatible with the printer.
- Refilled or reworked supplies – Confirm that this toner cartridge or imaging unit has not been refilled or reworked. A refilled toner cartridge can trigger this error.
|Third-party supplies are installed...||Try a genuine and original Lexmark supply item.||If this corrects the issue...||Contact the sales vendor for a refund or another replacement of the problematic supply item.|
|Lexmark toner cartridge or imaging unit has been refilled or reworked...|
Next, if the above steps were not able to clear the error, proceed with identifying the printer’s date code. The example image below shows the date code encircled in red. It is located on the sticker where the Serial Number is also printed. See How to Locate the Serial Number of the printer.
|Click image to enlarge|
Once you have the date code information, download the appropriate firmware depending to your printer model:
- For models: M1145, MS310, MS410, MS510 & MS610, if the date code is prior to April 2013, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MS610de, M3150, M3150dn, if the date code is prior to April 2013, first download EC1.1 firmware and then install it in the printer. After installing EC1.1, then download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MX310, MX410, MX510, MX511, MX610, MX611, XM1145 & XM3150, if the date code is prior to June 2013, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
- For models: MS71x, MS81x, MX71x, MX81x, M51xx, XM51xx & XM71xx, download and install EC2 or the latest firmware update.
How to download firmware
- Go to support.lexmark.com.
- Type your printer model in the “Enter Product Name” field and click OR click on the picture of the correct printer model shown.
- Locate the “Downloads” tab.
- Select the version of the Operating System.
- Click the link available under "Firmware".
After downloading the firmware, proceed with any of the methods below to perform the update.
|Firmware Flash Methods||Information|
|Embedded Web Server (EWS) Recommended||Open a browser and enter the IP address of the printer. Select Settings > Update Firmware.|
|USB utility||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|USB thumb drive||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|FTP||Click here for the detailed steps.|
|Printer File Loader
|Click here for the detailed steps.|
Still need help?
If you require additional assistance, please close this window and locate Get In Touch with Lexmark! for contact information. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN). Should you need help locating these, click here.
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce callbacks.