Side effects of downgrading firmware
Downgrading or reverting firmware levels is not advised. Many reasons exist, for example:
|Downgrading firmware from FW4...||To a lower level, such as FW3...||Results in...|
Firmware nomenclature (Naming convention).
- Do not downgrade firmware just because another device with lower firmware is working correctly. Escalate all issues with Lexmark's Technical Support team before deciding to downgrade firmware.
- You may have a PE-released version of firmware and this version may be more current than what is available on support.lexmark.com or the virtual solutions center VSC. Always check firmware levels found under Device Information.
- If using the ESF config tool to deploy/configure apps, do not select the 'install the firmware first" option unless you are absolutely certain the existing firmware on the device is outdated.
Device recovery steps
Warning! Do not downgrade firmware, since returning the device's full compliment of features and functionality will require a multi-step process and will likely require contacting the solutions support team.
If necessary, and only as a last resort, if you are required to downgrade firmware, then you should follow this prelist and summary of steps to recover existing solution (apps) and configuration settings.
Before you begin
- Create a list of all apps that are not pre-installed at the factory.
- Capture all configuration settings for apps, e-mail, fax, copy, print, network, and security functions.
- Capture all user-defined shortcuts, profiles, and destinations.
Procedure: Downgrading firmware and sanitizing
- Downgrade firmware to the previous EC revision of firmware.
- When the printer returns to a ‘Ready’ state, you will need to access the printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS); i.e., http://printer's_IP_address.
- Navigate to Device > Maintenance.
- Select the following under Erase Printer Memory options:
- Sanitize all information on non-volatile memory.
- Start initial setup wizard.
- Erase all printer and network settings.
- Erase all apps and app settings.
- Click Start.
Reinstalling and activating apps
Upon completion, follow the steps in the setup wizard. Reacquire and reinstall all lost apps, licenses, certificates, and re-configure all user-defined settings.
WARNING! You will need apps specific to your code level since apps are code-level dependent.
||Settings page (Base)||Description|
|Firmware 4 (FW4 New!)
Offers better delineation of models:
|Firmware 3 (FW3)||PP. 03x.yyy||
PP – Model ID
03 – Major FW3 release.
x – Level-3 delta.
yyy – Numeric build-level value.
As seen under Reports > Device > Device Information for PP.030.021 (FW 3.0.021):
Still need help?
If you require additional assistance, please close this tab, return to your product's support page and locate Get In Touch with Lexmark! for contact information. NOTE: When calling for support, you will need your printer model/machine type and serial number (SN).
Please be near the products described in this article to expedite the support process and reduce call-back situations.