Local USB connections to a Microsoft Windows computer allow firmware updates via the USB Flash Utility.
Before you Begin:
Do the following before updating printer or MFP firmware:
- Download the .zip file to an easy-to-find location such as your Windows Desktop.
- Uzip the file to your Windows Desktop or a destination directory that is easy to locate.
- Power off your printer and then back on to clear any error messages and to bring the printer back to READY.
- Verify your USB connection to the printer, and make sure the printer is recognized by the USB host controller.
Note: You will see connection notifications in the notification area of your task bar, and Microsoft's Add New Hardware Wizard may appear. Cancel these notifications.
USB Flash Utilities:
USB Flash Utility has a GUI-based interface which shows a progress bar.
USB Flash Utility
- After extracting both the USB flash utility and firmware file, double-click on the USBflash Utility icon.
- Confirm that the correct printer model is listed under Select Printer From List. If not, click on the drop-down arrow to locate and select the correct printer.
- Browse to the firmware file directory.
- Select the required file and click Open.
- Confirm that the correct firmware file is listed under Enter Filename To Flash To Printer.
- Click Start.
- Observe the progress bar to completion.
- Observe the printer LEDs or LCD for flash status. A series of periodic LED light sequences will be seen or a specific message will appear on the LCD.
- After completion, the printer should return to Ready.
Click here for an illustration.
Still Need Help?
Have the following available when calling Lexmark Technical Support;
- Printer model(s)
- Printer serial number