The update procedure outlined in this document assumes the firmware revision has already been downloaded and expanded on the local hard drive. To obtain the latest version of firmware for your print server, go to one of the following:
- Lexmark website (includes the network file extensions only)
- Click here and select Drivers & Downloads.
- Select Network Adapters from the list of products and then choose your adapter.
- Click on Firmware and download the latest version for your adapter.
- Ftp website (includes both the network and ftp file extensions)
- Click here and select print_servers.
- Select your print server model.
- Printer firmware website (includes both the network and ftp file extensions)
- Click here and enter the key code. (The key code you need can be obtained through the Lexmark Technical Support Center, 800-539-6275.)
- Click Submit.
For details of which firmware extensions go with which adapter, refer to the table at the end of this document.
Flash memory is a type of ROM (read-only memory) that can be electronically erased and reprogrammed. The flash memory in the network adapter contains the firmware that operates it. This firmware communicates with the network, the printer, and the network utility. When the firmware is updated, the flash memory on the network adapter is reprogrammed. This procedure overwrites old firmware and replaces it with the upgraded version. Although many adapters can accept each firmware file, there are some intermediate levels that must be reached before the adapter can accept the current level. Specifically:
- The MarkNet S adapter must be flashed to 1.9.14 before it can accept any higher level of firmware.
- The MarkNet Pro adapters must also be flashed to 2.9.14 before it is set to the current level.
- When a PJL file is being flashed, the intermediate level is not necessary.
- The MarkNet XL must be flashed to 15.84 before it can be flashed to 79.* levels.
Unix / Linux:
MarkVision Classic and MarkVision Professional can be used to update the print server firmware on most Unix / Linux operating systems. For the MarkNet S series, N series, Pro series, and X series adapters, the internal web interface is another option for updating firmware. Some adapters also accept PJL files which can be sent via FTP and over a parallel port.
- This document outlines the MarkVision update procedures.
- This document provides information on the web interface update procedure.
- This document provides information on updating with a parallel connection.
IMPORTANT! If you have a mulifunction printer (MFP), make sure you export the dest.ucf file from the adapter to keep the current fax, e-mail, and copy settings (this includes fax numbers and e-mail addresses) as these settings will be lost when the firmware is upgraded. Follow these instructions to export and import the dest.ucf file.
For adapters that support PJL files, an FTP session can be used to update print server firmware. Do the following:
External Adapters Code Levels Network File Extension FTP File extension MarkNet XLe 4.xxx *.prp *.unc MarkNet Pro 2.xx.xx *.ppn n/a MarkNet X 4.xx.xx *.pen n/a
Internal Adapters Code Levels Network File Extension Parallel, USB, or FTP File Extension MarkNet 7.84.x *.pfc n/a MarkNet XL 79.xxx *.pxl n/a MarkNet S 1.xx.xx *.psh *.pjl MarkNet N2000 3.xx.xx *.psw *.pjl MarkNet N2401e 5.xx.xx *.pml *.pjl MarkNet N2501e 5.xx.xx *.pml *.pjl MarkNet N2601e 6.xx.xx *.pfh n/a Lexmark C750n 85x.xxx *.flb *.flb Lexmark C910n 70x.xxx *.flp *.flp Lexmark C912n 72x.xxx *.flc *.flc Lexmark E323n 22x.xxx *.flm *.flm Lexmark T420n 22x.xxx *.flm *.flm Lexmark T52xn 54x.xxx *.flf *.flf Lexmark T62xn 54x.xxx *.flf *.flf Lexmark T63xn 55x.xxx *.fly *.fly Lexmark W820n 61x.xxx *.flj *.flj Lexmark X422 NGN1.xx.xxxx *.fla *.fla