Scan to Network (SNF) is an application allows you capture and route a scanned file to a shared network folder or FTP server.
Immediately upon delivery, the file is available to anyone with proper access permissions to the shared folder.
SNF Versions and Availability:
- The unlicensed and free Scan to Network (Basic) may come pre-installed on the MFP or may need to be acquired from Lexmark.
Please contact your next level of support or Lexmark Technical Support.
Note: See Document ID: HO3631 to determine which version is compatible with your MFP.
- A flash (.fls) file for Scan to Network (Premium) is available through your reseller's distribution channels. Please contact your sales representative or reseller for additional information.
SNF Version Comparison:
|Feature||Basic version (Compatible)||Premium (Compatible)|
|Scan to Shared Destination||Yes||Yes|
|Scan to Home Directory||Yes||Yes|
|Scan Preview – first page*||
|Confirmation – Printed||Yes||Yes|
|Scan Preview – Full Document or All Pages||No||Yes|
|Contrast & Darkness||No||Yes|
* A Hard Disk Drive (HDD) is required.
Note: MRC compression and OCR are limited to the following compatible models listed. A firmware update may be required to activate these features and certain feature functions are not always available on older products.
SNF Premium Compatibility and Requirements:
A license is required to activate Scan to Network "Premium".
- X46x Series
- X65x Series
- X73x Series
- X86x Series
- **X95x Series
- **MX410, MX51x, MX61x, MX6500, MX71x, MX81x, MX91x
- **CX410, CX510
- An x denotes any number within a given model series; i.e., X462, X464, X466.
- The X46x Series MFPs requires an additional 128 MB memory upgrade to achieve the application's minimum memory requirement of 256 MB.
- **1 GB RAM and HDD are required to successfully install Scan to Network Premium.
Required Protocols and Ports:
The Scan to Network application relies on the same ports that are used by the NetBIOS (NetBT) and the Server Message Block (SMB) protocols.
These ports include the following:
- 9100 and 9400 used by MFP for basic communication over the network
- 137, 138, 139 used by NetBIOS for names resolution
- 445 used by the SMB protocol
IMPORTANT! If a WINS or DNS server is being used for host name resolution, the required NetBIOS ports may be closed or blocked.
Click here for a related Microsoft™ TechNet article describing how to enable NetBIOS.
General Capabilities Information:
Up to 30 unique folder destinations can be defined. These destinations may either be a standard shared folder in Microsoft Windows or a shared directory on a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server. A list of supported operating systems is included in the Readme file included in the application download file.
Note: Scan to Network version 4.8.5 and above allows up to 100 folder destinations.
Scan to FTP
The utility uses the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) when scanning to a destination on an FTP server.
- Supported File Types
File types supported by Scan to Network include PDF, TIFF, JPEG or XPS formats.
- Scan Resolution
Scan resolution for each file type is limited by the MFP, but typically includes resolutions of 150, 200, 300, 400 and 600 dpi.
- Original document size is limited by the multifunction product but typically includes selections ranging from Legal (8.5" x 14") to Business Card (2" x 3.5").
Note: Other selectable settings are available in the application but not mentioned in this article.
The application can be used in environments where users scan to home (or personal) directories, companies that manage large storage networks with Microsoft's™ Distributed File System (DFS), and sites that control authentication with directory services (using LDAP).
See Document ID: FA716 for frequently asked questions on Scan to Network and Bar Code Discovery Solutions.
Still Need Help?
Have the following available when calling Lexmark Technical Support;
- Printer model(s)
- Printer serial number